Friday, June 29, 2012

KASHA, BLACK-EYED PEA, MACKEREL, FAVA BEAN, TOMATO & MISO SALAD - SALADE DE SARRASIN, DOLIQUES A OEIL NOIR, FÈVES, MAQUEREAU, TOMATE ET MISO

Kasha Salad 6 5 bis
Be careful of those who pat you on the back. They might be looking for a soft spot to plant the knife.
- Anonymous
Honest hearts produce honest actions.
- Brigham Young

Those who know me are aware of the fact that I cherish honest, genuine as well as selfless beings and look for the deep and meaningful things in life. Superficiality, artificiality, triviality, egocentrism and materialism put me off. I reject all the false values that this modern and unethical society apprizes.

Calculators, manipulators and profitors are my biggest enemies. I fear them like the pest and smell them from a distance. Actually, I make it a rule to stay far away from anything that is shallow or anyone who is toxic, fake and untrustworthy as they can only be harmful to me and drain me of my life force. Negative energies and all forms of parasitism are to be avoided at any cost or they'll bring you down and suck you into their decadent spiral of chaos and destruction.

After having been psychologically abused by my tyrannical parents who exercized their maleficious control over me and could not care less about my person, but prefered to use me as a pawn in their viscious family game, and escaped from my Machiavellian sister's iron grip and mean powers of subjugation, I am finally free of all oppression so I really treasure my new found freedom and fiercely protect it with all my might. I have given enough and refuse to bleed more.

Since I have been deceived and ripped-off quite a few times by despicable individuals who are only interested in misusing others for their own egotistical purposes and evil agendas, I tend to be very careful when it comes to letting people into my existence and trusting them blindly. I pick my pals meticulously. This is the reason why I am not surrounded by hords of "friends" and definitely not the most popular girl on the block. But that's ok with me as I have my peace.

Nowadays, I listen to my heart and follow my instincts. If somebody is devious or something is shady, then I'll feel their bad vibrations and will not let them corrupt or rape my soul as I have understood that nobody can be my master nor that I am accountable to anyone. Power is in my hands and "no" is not a taboo word anymore...

Kasha Mackerel 1 2 bis
Make food simple and let things taste of what they are.
- Curnonsky aka Maurice Edmond Sailland
I want a dish to taste good, rather than to have been seethed in pig's milk and served wrapped in a rhubarb leaf with grated thistle root.
- Kingsley Amis
I detest...anything over-cooked, over-herbed, over-sauced, over elaborate. Nothing can go very far wrong at table as long as there is honest bread, butter, olive oil, a generous spirit, lively appetites and attention to what we are eating."
- Sybille Bedford
When it comes to food, I love my grub to be straitforward and real. Pretentious or unnatural eats have no place at my home nor in my heart. I loathe unneccessarily complicated or pompous dishes and detest industrially processed aliments that have been deprived of their nutritional qualities and are loaded with a multitude of gruesome additives (saturated fats, artificial colorings and sweeteners, preservatives, corn syrup, etc...).

My dinners are seasonal, hearty, comforting, stripped of any chichis, yet they don't lack refinement or aromatic complexity. I try to enhance produces and get the best out of them without ever spoiling their original characteristics. This demands a little understanding of nutrition, some knowledge regarding the ingredients employed, a good dose of patience and a lot of gut feeling. Nothing very esoteric or difficult to accomplish, however it requires commitment and dedication.

Cooking is at once one of the simplest and most gratifying of the arts, but to cook well one must love and respect food.
- Craig Claiborne

Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.
- Marcel Boulestin

If you are a passionate gourmet who is interested in your physical wellness, then it is absolutely not a sacrifice to relentlessly surf online in order to search for useful culinary information, to spend a few hours experimentig in the kitchen or to follow a healthy diet. Your hard labor will be rewarded and your body will be thankful for treating it like a temple rather than a dustbin. Certainly worth the effort!

Speaking of power foods, the salad that I am presenting today pretty much carries all those characteristics and is not far from perfection. It is well-balanced (contains many essential nutrients: fibers, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fatty acids, antioxidents, proteins and other compounds), extremely satiating, not expensive, fresh, easily prepared and although it appears to be simple, this harmonious tasting meal offers intricate flavors (nutty, herby, pungent, spicy, sweet, smoky, etc...) which will make your palate sing and your tummy smile.

My summery "Kasha, Black-Eyed Pea, Mackerel, Fava Bean, Tomato & Miso Salad" is ideal for a relaxed lunch or supper in the garden/on the balcony and for taking on picnics or bringing to potlucks, parties as well as work. Quirky, practical, energy-ladden and scrumptious!

Kasha, Black-Eyed Pea, Mackerel, Fava Bean, Tomato & Miso Salad
Recipe by Rosa Mayland, June 2012

Serves 2-3.

Ingredients For The "Miso Dressing":
1/3 Cup (75ml) Apple vinegar
1/3 Cup (75ml) Olive oil
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbs Barley miso
1 Tbs Sweet soy sauce (Kikkoman)
1 Tbs Sweet chili sauce
1 Tsp Runny honey
1 Tsp Sesame oil
1/2 Tsp Fine sea salt
Ingredients For The "Salad":
1 1/2 Cups Raw kasha (buckwheat groats)
1 Tsp Fine sea salt
1 Cup (120g) Fresh fava beans, shelled (method)
260g Cooked black-eyed peas (cooked from scratch or canned)
2x 125g (2x 95g net weight) Canned mackerel
1x Beefsteak tomato, chopped
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
Fresh coriander, to taste

Kasha Fava 1 2 bis
Method For The "Miso Dressing":
1. In a big salad bowl, whisk all ingredients together.
Method For The "Salad":
2. In a medium pan, lightly toast the kasha until golden.
3. Add 4 cups water (~1l) and the salt. Bring to a light boil, then immediatly lower the heat to a soft simmer.
4. Cook for about 8-10 minutes (it should still be a little crunchy - see remarks).
5. Sieve and rince with cold water, then let the water drip off.
6. Once the kasha is at room temperature, add to the bowl with all the other ingredients. Mix delicately.
7. Serve. 

Remarks:
The onion can be replaced by 2 chopped spring onions.
In case you don't have black-eyed peas at home, any legume of your choice will do (white beans, chickpeas, red beans, etc...).
You can also use other fresh herbs: chervil, parsley, basil or thyme.
Don't overcook your kasha, otherwise it'll go mushy. In order to avoid that, keep testing it while it is cooking.
If you like to eat your salad chilled, then mix all the ingredients together (minus the coriander, tomato and fish - you'll add them at the last moment) a few hours before serving and refrigerate. 

Serving suggestions:
Serve chilled or at room temperature and accompany with a glass of quality white wine (Gewürtzraminer, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Chasselas,  etc...) or rosé (Vin Gris, Oeil de Perdrix, Weissherbst, Provence, Gamay Rosé, etc...).

Salade De Sarrasin, Doliques A Oeil Noir, Fèves, Maquereau, Tomate Et Miso 
Recette par Rosa Mayland, juin 2012.

Pour 2-3 personnes.

Ingrédients Pour La "Vinaigrette au Miso": 

75ml de Vinaigre de pomme
75ml Olive oil 
2 Gousses d'ail, hachées finement 
1 CS de Miso d'orge
1 CS de Sauce soja douce (Kikkoman)
1 CS de Sauce de piment douce 
1 CS de Miel liquide
1 CC d'Huile de sésame
1/2 CC de Sel de mer fin
 Ingrédients Pour La "Salade":
1 1/2 Coupes de Gruau de sarrasin 
1 CS de Sel de mer fin 
120g de Fèves fraîches, pelées (voir méthode) 
260g de Doliques à oeil noir cuites (voir méthode - vous pouvez aussi prendre une conserve)
2x 125g (poids net 2x 95g) de Filets de maquereau en conserve 
1 Tomate coeur de boeuf, coupée en dés
1 Oignon moyen, haché finement
Coriandre fraîche, selon goût

Kasha Tree 1 2 bis
Méthode Pour La "Vinaigrette Au Miso": 
1. Dans un grand saladier, mélanger tous les ingrédients ensemble. 
Méthode Pour La "Salade": 
2. Dans une casserole moyenne, torréfier le sarrasin jusqu'à ce qu'il soit légèrement doré. 
3. Ajouter environ 1 litre d'eau et le sel. Porter à légère ébullition, puis immédiatement baisser le feu et laisser mijoter à feu très doux.
4. Cuire pendant environ 8-10 minutes. Le sarrasin devrait encore être un peu croquant (voir remarques).
5. L'égoutter et le rincer à l'eau très froide, puis le laisser égoutter encore une fois afin que toute l'eau se soit évacuée.
6. Une fois que le sarrasin a refroidi (température ambiante), le mettre dans le bol avec tous les autres ingrédients et mélanger délicatement. 
7. Servir. 

Remarques: 
L'oignon peut être remplacé par 2 oignons de printemps hachés. 
Dans le cas où vous n'aurez pas de doliques à œil noir à la maison, vous pouvez alors utiliser une autre légumineuse de votre choix (haricots blancs, pois chiches, haricots rouges, etc ..). 
Vous pouvez également ajouter d'autres herbes fraîches dans cette salade: cerfeuil, persil, basilic ou thym.
Ne pas faire cuire votre sarrasin à feu élevé sinon les graines exploseront et vous vous retrouverez avec une purée. Afin d'éviter cela, faites-le mijoter à feu très doux (pas de gros bouillons). N'oubliez pas de régulièrement goûter votre sarrasin afin que vous ne le cuisiez pas trop (perte de son croquant). 
Si vous aimez manger froid, mélanger tous les ingrédients ensemble (sans la coriandre, tomate et le poisson que vous ajouterez au dernier moment) et réfrigérer votre salade pendant quelques heures avant de la servir.

Idées de présentation: 

Servir bien réfrigérée ou à température ambiante et accompagner d'un vin blanc (Gewurtzraminer, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Chasselas, etc ..) ou d'un rosé (Vin Gris, Oeil de Perdrix, Weissherbst, Provence, Gamay Rosé, etc ...) de qualité.

Kasha 1 1 bis

77 comments:

  1. Looks so fresh and light! I've never had fava beans, I need to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les douleurs subies ont beau essayé d'être effacées elles n'en restent pas moins présentes car notre passé, nos aventures plus ou moins fortunées nous forgent qu'on le veuille ou non.

    Bien que n'ayant pas le même contexte que vous je me défie tout de même des personnes, car au fond, il vaut mieux se méfier de tout, être moins entourée mais mieux.

    En tout cas votre salade est bien original.
    J'aimerais beaucoup goûter à ce sarrasin, tout comme à l'orge.
    Vous y avez mis des ingrédients originaux, qui donnent envie, même si, je l'avoue les maquereaux très peu pour moi.

    Bonne fin de journée et bon weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superbe! Exactement le genre de salade que j'affectionne: complète, originale, rafraichissante... et très équilibrée, avec des produits de qualité! Merci Rosa, bon weekend...
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnifique cette salade Rosa, l'assemblage, les couleurs. Je suis en admiration devant la photo de la boite de sardines, je la verrais bien en poster dans ma cuisine. Bravo.
    Take care et blon weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This salad looks exquisite, Rosa! Love the miso dressing you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, the ingredients list truly reads like the best of all worlds - a little bit of something from every corner of the world. I'll def try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful and unpretentious salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is one very healthy salad.
    i need to eat more like this.
    i think all the important food groups are covered in this fabulous mixture
    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A healthy and delicious salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like an incredible salad perfect for summer! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple and perfect for the season. Love that macro shot of the peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great and light meal Rosa. Love all the ingredients you used, particularly fresh fava beans. The shot of canned mackerel is awesome! I'm amazed the way you got this very beautiful shot and how close it is. Incredible! This is absolutely one of the most amazing photos I've seen. Have a great weekend. Bisous
    Cheers
    Mamat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tellement beau, tellement appétissant !!! Bisous**

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very flavourful and delicious salad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rosa, I couldn't agree with you more. I also listen to my heart and follow my instincts, after also being deceived and ripped-off by many. Your salad looks wonderful, it's perfect and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rosa,

    I so admire the way you bare your soul to your readers! I am so sorry for the way those closest to you took advantage of your position to abuse it; unfortunately these experiences leave an indelible mark, and can never be obliterated. The good news is you have overcome them to create beauty, and this salad and the photos are a perfect example. Maybe this is the reason they say that artists must suffer to create?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Que des produits originaux pour cette belle salade estivale.
    Bon week-end Rosa!
    verO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Rosa, I love your words so much that I had to read them aloud to my man. :-) Thank you for being so blunt, brave and honest - you have strengthened me today like you cannot imagine. I come from a family very similar to yours and am STILL learning to protect myself and be strong. Thank you for being such a fabulous example to me today. :-) XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Magnifique! What a stunning salad and combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rosa, when you hit the coast you have to try fresh mackerel...out of this world and would again go with the rest of this yummy salad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your salad is fabulous and the photos are stunning ...
    Now you get me hook on a quest to look for and to taste Kasha...

    ReplyDelete
  22. j'adore ta salade pleine de bonnes choses pour la santé et pour le palais!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum. you used two of my favourite things...mackeral and broad beans (fava beans) (then again all food is my favourite! :-) ) Lovely recipe I may have to try. I might use quinoa too as it is not always that easy for me to get kasha.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful!!
    as always both recipe and photography are stunning!!!
    i love the golden bowl in the last pic Rosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You seem to have a traumatic past from the stuff that you wrote. :) Glad that you've gotten over it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anything with miso dressing is totally delicious for me! Your salad looks so vibrant and inviting, I'm salivating! Beautiful photos again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like my food straight forward and real also. Love that you've used black-eyed peas, a southerner's favorite bean.

    Beautiful photos as always Rosa. You've made black-eyed peas PROUD.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pictures are stunning as always! Love the miso dressing.... a beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Delicious! And wonderful photos...:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow I am speechless, your photos look absolutely stunning

    ReplyDelete
  31. i agree with you, i don't like people who are fake and just use you for their needs. i have few friends, i'm very cautious and don't trust anyone easily. experiences in the past have made me that way. i'm sure tons of sunny days lie ahead of you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. sounds so fresh and healthy. I love how balanced this salad is - just the right amount of beans, veggies & protein! Would love to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the combination of groats, black eyed peas and fava beans! And your vinaigrette sounds delicious, Rosa. A lovely, healthy salad!

    ReplyDelete
  34. amazing salad and sorry about your parents thats so sad

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chère Rosa, ce que tu as écris, j'aurais pu l'écrire en partie car nos vies ont quelque chose de semblable, elles nous rapprochent sur beaucoup de points que je ne vais pas détailler ici. J'aime comme toi la nourriture authentique et généreuse mais la plus simple et saine possible sans chichis comme toi. Je suis désolée de ce que tu as souffert et je peux peut-être encore mieux comprendre pourquoi j'ai eu envie de te lire et de devenir une de tes lectrices car j'aime ta manière d'être, de faire et de penser et c'est aussi la mienne. Tu as su te relever même si les souffrances restent toujours enfouies en toi mais la vie est ainsi faite de faux semblants et d'épreuves qui nous rendent toujours plus forts mais aussi plus sélectifs et plus méfiants. Je te souhaite un agréable dimanche. Ta recette est telle que j'aime, il y a pas longtemps mon repas du soir était une simple boîte de maquereaux au vin blanc et cela a constitué un repas du soir tout aussi bon que n'importe quel plat. Je n'ai jamais tenté de le faire moi-même, il y a des terrains où je ne me risquerais pas :)). Gros bisous d'à côté. Continue d'être celle que tu es, tu es admirable dans ta force et ta fragilité que je devine derrière tes mots et ton blog révèle un peu tout cela avec ces magnifiques photos que tu nous fais partager au travers de tes articles, ton regard plein de générosité que j'apprécie beaucoup autant que tes recettes ;). Bel été et à bientôt, merci pour ta gentille visite qui à chaque fois me fait très plaisir :).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Un texte émouvant Rosa. Aller de l’avant sans se retourner, et se concentrer sur le présent, voilà ma devise dorénavant.

    Ta salade est si colorée. Que de bons produits. Je ne résiste pas très longtemps aux maquereaux Rosa.Des bises

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a nice and healthy salad for summer! Your clicks are so beautiful - all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Rosa,

    I have to admit that I am not a fan of Kasha. But everything else in your salad I do love. Smoked makerel is so great in salads. It's available fresh here so I usually don't buy the canned one. Thanks for sharing this delicious and summery treat!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am touched by your words and I can find a few similarities.
    Fighting the ghosts of my childhood took me years. But now I feel strong and independent.
    Rosa, I love your summer salad. Would be great for one of the next garden parties with friends. And of course, your pictures are wonderful.
    warmly, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  40. my my what a color burst of a salad this s Rosa and as usual the pics have floored me completely lovely salad how i wish you gave me a veggie version of this

    ReplyDelete
  41. Terrific post! Sensational writing, great selection of quotes. And every photo is a winner. You're really good with close-ups (they're not exactly micro shots, but getting in that neighborhood). The shots of the mackerel and fava beans? Superb. They almost have the look of Black and White, though obviously they're in color. Great recipe too, but there's so much else going on in this post I almost forgot about it! Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely Rosa! I enjoyed kasha often as a kid. I must try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  43. "I love my grub to be straightforward and real", too! I love what you've done with this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is SO beautiful!!!
    You made me hungry already!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful dish!

    I'm so glad you're in a healthy place - moving on and having peace is the best revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The salad is incredibly elegant. Perfect for summer. I agree, it's best not to waste your time with people who don't enrich your life.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lovely post, Rosa. The food looks fantastic -- wholesome, nourishing, and delicious! Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a beautiful - and colorful! - salad!

    ReplyDelete
  49. A beautiful bowl of salad - it's really summery! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. ..."My dinners are seasonal, hearty, comforting, stripped of any chichis, yet they don't lack refinement or aromatic complexity...", genau das trifft für diesen Salat zu !

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hum, très jolie salade et appétissante!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello..Rosa what abeatiful blog you have..Ilove your blog..This salad looks healty and delicious..nice too meet you..ı have blog also..come meet me..love Nurşen...nurlumutfakta.blogspot .com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow Rosa, you packed a lot of emotion into this post and I related to many of the sentiments you shared about surrounding yourself with genuine and honest people. And the recipe looks like it is also packed with wonderful ingredients and flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I cant agree more with you,guess we have things in common:). To add to the list, I hate "Hypocrites".

    Stunning photographs as always Rosa...what a colorful salad:). Also the English Fruitcake was delicious. All at home loved it. Wanted to let you know earlier but just skipped my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Rosa- really nice post and needless to say some awesome pictures. Haven't been very active lately but have been following your work. Missed the last couple of posts that I went through today. Inspiring as always. Also, thanks for your kind words and encouragement for my work as well. Much appreciated.
    Puja
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  56. Keeping it simple is a very good philosophy to live by Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I am also very careful about who I let into my life. I had a terrible situation recently with some bloggers that left me very disillusioned with them. As you say, your instincts should tell you things and you can rely on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. That miso dressing sounds fantastic, just perfect for a hearty salad like this.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I was nodding "yes" to every word and photo in this inspiring post - lovely, Rosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Dear Rosa, Beautiful post. You have prepared a bright and refreshing dish that looks mouthwatering! Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  61. Lots of goodness packed in this salad! I love mackerel and glad this salad has it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  62. this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Beautiful and colourful Rosa, I miss mackerel we don't see it much here in nz, sardine neither.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this salad! So hearty, but healthy. This is on my lunch or dinner list this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  65. What a gorgeous salad! Your photography takes my breath away! Simply outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Super healthy, fresh, summery and colourful salad... just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Ensalada maravillosa luce exquisita y muy bella ,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I always love your narrative and of course the photography, but this recipe sounds like such a heady combination of delicious flavors and textures. I love mackerel and never ever have seen it in such interesting and delectable company!

    ReplyDelete
  69. I happen to love fava and mackerel so this is right up my alley!

    XOXO
    Have a great 4th!
    http://TheSquishyMonster.com
    Twitter @aSquishyMonster

    ReplyDelete
  70. I'm loving that idea of miso and apple cider vinegar together. Gotta try that on my next salad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Glad to hear you are discovering what works for your Rosa! Be guided by your instincts...it seems to be working. Thank you for sharing this wonderful, healthy salad. The flavours sound so simple and down to earth!

    ReplyDelete
  72. For some reason, I'm not able to see any of your photos. :( Not sure if it's my browser's fault? Anyway, the salad still sounds fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  73. Agree agree and agree and I respect you for all that you've been through yet still having turned out an honest, caring person and friend. I also agree about the food and am saddened and shamed whenever I see another food blogger posting "recipes" made from junk food. Don't they know any better or feel any desire to make an effort. Or is it all about the fame? Your food, on the other hand, is always pure, healthy, beautiful and savory. Wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  74. your photos, as always, are gorgeous! and the salad sounds delicious! i've had fava beans for the first time just this year - but didn't really know what to do with them. next time i see them i'll know :)

    ReplyDelete
  75. I love this salad packed with superfoods! Never heard of kasha before, but I adore the other ingredients, especially mackerel. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I am also very guared who I let into my circle of trust. I am content spedning my days with family and close friends. A power packed plate and fresh fave beans are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I need to get my hands on fresh fava beans -- this salad looks divine :)

    ReplyDelete