Friday, November 23, 2012

BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE - SAUCE ANGLAISE AU CARAMEL

There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.
- Alan Cohen
One cannot be a thinking and writing machine on a constant basis. Sometimes, both the brain and writer need to breathe a little fresh air and relax in order to be performant and productive again. This is why yours truly and her upstairs manager need a well-deserved rest from time to time.
The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world.
- Orson Welles
Therefore, this Friday, I have decided to take it easy and let my food as well as Lenk (Bernese Oberland, Switzerland) pictures speak for themselves. Words are not always necessary and photography is another form of expression that can be used to communicate emotions, moods, sentiments and thoughts, so for now I'll let it do the "talking".

Butterscotch 5 4 bis
The color brown, I realized, is anything but nondescript. It comes in as many hues as there are colors of earth, with is commonly presumed infinite.
- Barbara Kingsolver
With my amber "Butterscotch Sauce"* and slate-chocolate chalet photos, the main theme of this post is the sensual, reflective and earthy color brown - in all its glory. It fits the season perfectly as November is literally dominated by a vast palette of hazelnut, fawn and ecru hues. At this period of the year, nature sheds it's warm and autumnal coat of crimson in order to adorn frigid and bleak shades of greyish-tawny. With each week passing and December approaching we are heading closer to winter, the dark and austere realm of death. Thus everything around us is starting to look desolate and landscapes become more and more monochrome. Nonetheless, we should not dispair, because there's beauty as well as hope to be found in decay and nothing lasts forever - endings always lead to new beginnings...

On that note, I will leave you with my motto of the day:
Feast your eyes, feed your soul, fill your stomach, learn to love those beautifully soothing and cool wood/soil/mud tones which are often disregarded, never despise the colder months for they have a (discreet) charm of their own and don't waste you breath on unrequired discourses!


* In a few weeks, you'll discover which festive dessert I prepared with this luscious sauce...

Butterscotch 6 5 bis
Butterscotch Sauce
Recipe by Rosa Mayland, November 2012.

Ingredients:
140ml Thick cream (35%)
130g Light brown sugar
40g Unsalted butter
2 1/2 Tsps Pure vanilla extract

Method:
1. In a medium small saucepan, add the cream, sugar, butter and vanilla extract.
2. Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until they are well-combined and the sugar has dissolved.
3. Over medium high heat, bring to a light boil.

Butterscotch 4 4 bis
4. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened a bit (it should coat the back of a spoon).
5. Remove from the heat and let cool until lukewarm or completely.
6. Serve.

Remarks:
If you want your butterscotch sauce to have a stronger flavor, then replace the light brown sugar by dark brown sugar.
To add a little kick to your sauce, use salted butter instead of unsalted butter or incorporate 1-2 tablespoons whisky and add a pinch sea salt to the finished sauce and mix well.

Serving suggestions:
Butterscotch sauce is wonderful when served hot or cold over pudding, vanilla ice cream, pancakes/crêpes, fruits or cakes.

Butterscotch 1 3 bis
Sauce Anglaise Au Caramel
Recette par Rosa Mayland, Novembre 2012.

 
Ingrédients:

140ml de Crème épaisse (35%)
130g de Sucre brun clair mou
40g de Beurre non-salé
2 1/2 CC d'Extrait de vanille pure 


Méthode:
1. Dans une petite casserole, ajouter la crème, le sucre, le beurre et l'extrait de vanille.
2. Remuer tout en faisant chauffer à feu moyen pendant environ 5 minutes, ou jusqu'à complète dissolution du sucre.
3. A feu moyennement vif, porter le mélange à ébullition.


Butterscotch 7 4 bis
4. Réduire le feu à doux et laisser mijoter, à découvert, pendant environ 5 minutes, ou jusqu'à ce que la sauce ait un peu épaissi (elle doit recouvrir le dos d'une cuillère).
5. Retirer du feu et laisser refroidir un peu ou complètement.
6. Servir.

Remarques:
Si vous voulez que votre sauce ait un goût plus prononcé de caramel, alors vous pouvez remplacer le sucre brun clair par du sucre brun foncé (mou).

Afin d'ajouter du peps à votre sauce, remplacer le beurre non-salé par du beurre salé ou incorporer 1-2 cuillères à soupe de whisky et ajouter une pincée de sel de mer une fois la cuisson finie et bien mélanger.

Suggestions de présentation:
Cette sauce caramel est merveilleuse lorsqu'elle est mangée chaude ou froide et servie avec du pouding, de la glace à la vanille, des fruits, des crêpes/pancakes ou des gâteaux.

Butterscotch 3 5 bis

77 comments:

  1. Ohh, delicious! I would love to have some sauce with vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cette sauce est divine, j'en mangerais directement dans le pot à la petite cuillère... Belle ambiance automnale dans tes photos, j'adore ce camaïeu de bruns/beiges...
    Bonne fin de semaine, bises
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post! I adore your space here. So creative and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. che golosa, fantastica sui dolci e non finiro' mai di dirti che le foto sono stupende.

    passa un buon fine settimana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at your creativity and your eye for beauty.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pour avoir goute au butterscotch je peux dire que soit je ne l'ai pas goute comme il fallait pour le sublimer, il était mauvais ou simplement que je ne l'aime pas :/ Neanmoins, un truc que je trouve sublime, ce sont tes photos ! Magnifique, vraiment ^^
    Des bises très gourmandes !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my kind of sauce...I am so making this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. la sauce delicieuse c'est une chose :) les photos une autre encore ! tout est magnifique Rosa ! BRAVO !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I need a cup for my pancake right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sauce looks divine! {Lovely post!}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only you could take such a stunning photo of a piece of wood! I love your third photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sauce would be perfect for some breakfast pancakes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what gorgeous clicks :) I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Can't wait to see what loveliness you made for this butterscotch sauce to go with Rosa, however like the others I'd be happy to eat it simply over ice cream or pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. look amazing Rosa and love the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sur une tarte aux pommes.... des brioches à la cannelle.... de la crème glacée... un gâteau à la vanille...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Une sauce qui ne me laisse aucunement indifférente!
    Miammm....

    Bon vendredi:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. C'est superbe Rosa comme toujours mais toujours agréablement surpris quand on vient ici....et la crème....ho ! ho ! ho ! YES !
    Bises Rosa, bon week-end...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like Burnt Umber..:-)
    I love those aged wood shades..perfect for caramel:-)
    I do think you should be the one with a photo..cookbook..tag:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to see what you prepared with this lovely sauce, Rosa! The photos are beautiful - I love the dabbled light.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, I'd love to drizzle that on anything and everything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks divine as usual l love your photos

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please pass the spoon - what an incredible sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I fell in love with this sauce earlier today on FB. Lovely, Rosa. Love all the beautiful shots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pictures are always very impressive and love your sauce. I didn't know that this is called sauce Anglais as I just call it caramel sauce. I make it slightly different by caramelizing the sugar with butter and then add the cream. Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful shots Rosa, I especially love the last one - so many shades! And the butterscotch sauce?? Simple but delicious I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just ate chocolate cake with no sauce, this would have gone perfectly with it! Lovely photos as usual...so jealous of your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sauce looks delicious and the photo of the aged wood is amazing!
    Have a lovely weekend Rosa!
    Cheers
    Mamat

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the theme of this post -very beautiful earthy tones and textures. I look forward to seeing what delicious thing that sauce adorns.

    xo
    H

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everyone should have a jar of this in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a tease! Looking forward to seeing the destination of the Butterscotch Sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  32. mmmm, mmmm Love butterscotch sauce. Need to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh yum!! Would love to pour some of that warm sauce on a piece of pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really nice recipe. And I'm enjoying all that texture in the wood - just gorgeous. Good post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been obsessed with butterscotch lately. It a flavor that comes up a lot in childhood, but is so rarely seen in adult desserts. Love the wood photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. this is gorgeous, and I love the wooden texture of your pictures, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just recently made this sauce and loved it, so rich and delicious! Lovely pics and the wooden doors are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love butterscotch. I would be more than happy to sit down with a bowl of the sauce and a spoon, but I can't wait to see how you used it in a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  39. As a child butterscotch was always my favourite from butterscotch candies like Werthers to butterscotch sauce on my sundae at Dairy Queen, but my favourite was a self saucing pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rosa - It's been so long since I've stopped by to leave a comment! I have a special place in my heart for butterscotch sauce. This looks so delicious and warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a great looking dessert sauce ~ love all that old wood too!

    ReplyDelete
  42. beautiful pictures the caramel looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've heard that Donna Hay finds brown hard to photograph but you've done a great job on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. butterscotch? yum!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Intéressante association colorée entre cette sauce crémeuse et la texture du bois.

    ReplyDelete
  46. ça à l'air divinement bon et simple ! :) Bonne journée !

    ReplyDelete
  47. Butterscotch sauce. Oh how I love thee. Let me count the ways! And I love your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  48. So very true Rosa, photographs can express much of what we are feeling. I always enjoy yours. The caramel sauce looks so perfect and silky. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love butterscotch sauce and will definitely give this a try this weekend for a party that I need to take a dessert to!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This sauce sounds ammaazing! Your pictures are fabulous, truly. I love the variety of textures and colors, the pop of pastel hues is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  51. ahhh...what can I say... I am in love with all your photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love the different textures of the wood. Who could possibly resist such tempting looking butterscotch sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  53. J'aime, ce post est tout simplement parfait. Une belle histoire de couleur et de texture.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Rosa..Butterscotch Sauce is one of my favorite things in the whole world. NOT favorite sauces..favorite things as a whole! I always choose it over chocolate sauce on ice cream and other desserts. Yours looks perfect! I wish I could drink it straight up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gosh, you are seriously a wicked photographer. I can;t stop looking at the photo of the aged wood when I should be drooling over the butterscotch sauce! Must ban myself from reading your blog late at night to prevent a run to the fridge ng

    ReplyDelete
  56. this is just delicious, rosa! i can think of no fewer than 25 things to do with this sauce, and i came up with those in 2 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. I want this all over my ice cream situation! Gorgeous, Rosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This sauce may be simple but is packed with flavor...beautiful pictures Rosa!
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. How good is butterscotch sauce?! Your pictures are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Mes filles raffolent de cette sauce anglaise. Je retiens l'ajout vanille Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  61. There is simply nothing better than a recipe like this one, Rosa! I adore caramel anything and this one takes the prize.
    Love your photos of wood....so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  62. (Not sure my comment went through)
    Love the recipe, Rosa. And your photos of wood details are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Beautiful pics - I love the textures of the wood! And I *need* a jug of that decadent sauce...!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I can't believe I have somehow missed this beautiful blog!! My goodness, I'm in love with your photos and your writing... Gorgeous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Lowongan Kerja : this is just an inspiration for me and I hope for everyone too

    ReplyDelete
  66. Love everything about this post...the beauty of the weathered wood and the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Gorgeous photos! Love those woods and the sauce is my husband's fav :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Beautiful and delicious sauce. It goes well with a lot of things! And your photography on the wood. Wow, I'm mesmerized!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Not sure what I love more, the sauce or that BUILDING!!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Butterscotch is sauce anglaise? O.O What is it in german Rosa? That butterscotch has been confusing me since I discovered it in india.

    ReplyDelete
  71. C'est le genre de sauce dont personne ne résiste et qui peut transformer n'importe quel dessert tout simple(ou presque) en dessert 4 étoiles.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Rosa, this is my favorite sauce :)
    All pics looks amazing! I wish I was there :)

    ReplyDelete
  73. I've never made butterscotch but this looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Love this sauce, it's one of my husband favorite:) I just love your photos, they transmit such a great mood, thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete